Skip to main content

El Camino del Diablo

I've been watching the Tour de France this week so I decided to write about one of my own bike trips. In 1996 I rode the historic trail El Camino del Diablo or The Devil's Highway in Southern Arizona. This was a trail that I first heard about during a bike ride from San Diego to home in 1984. I had become obsessed about riding it for 12 years.
This trail follows the border of Mexico and Arizona on the Cabeza Prieta Wildlife Refuge and has seen human activity for over 10,000 yrs. There are many ancient trails, sleeping circles and shrines left by the Paleoamericans (or First People). It was first used by Europeans (the Conquistadors) in the early 1600's and was a popular route to the California goldfields in the 1800's. There are estimates of over 2,000 deaths along this trail from Ajo to Yuma. Temperatures easily go over 120 degrees and the only water for the near 100 miles of track is found in the occasional tinajas, depressions in the rocks where rain water collects and then evaporates in a few days.
Ancient trail barely visible
I was fortunate to have a friend sag me on this trip, driving ahead in his 4 wheel drive and setting up camp for the night while I rode my bike loaded down with 2 gallons of water for the day. There were countless  stone crosses in the sands along the trail (and a rather dark story from the early 1900's of people coming across the mummified bodies of horses, cattle and oxen propped up on their feet lining the trail). True or not just the thought made me cherish every drop of water that I carried. It took me 3 days and 91 miles to ride this part of the 'highway' in the relatively balmy temperatures of
85°, 90° and 95°. The last 9 miles I had to push my bike through 6 inches of sand even though I was using specially made wide rims and lowered the tire pressure to 10 lbs.
Two of the many stone crosses along the trail
Access to the trail is by permit only since it is on a military bombing range. I didn't have to dodge any bombs but I was buzzed twice by a helicopter, probably the Border Patrol.
My ride ended at the famous Tinajas Altas, the only place on the trail with a permanent (sometimes) water source.

At Tinajas Altas and looking forward
to a diet Pepsi and potato chips























Comments

  1. Reading this with the temperature expected to be close to 100° today in Virginia actually made me feel chilly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of