Skip to main content

The Deagan Project: Part I

Deagan Round Top Bells #1120


A friend of mine was cleaning out his Music room recently and found an old set of bells that he purchased in Pittsburgh when he taught music in their school district. He asked me if I were interested in having them and when he opened the case I said YES!!
Being just shy of 100yrs old they were in decent condition. The case was badly scratched but structurally sound, the bars were rusted,  the escutcheon pins were bent (one was replaced with a wood screw), the rail felts were compacted and turning to powder, the rubber washers and pin isolators were crumbled into small bits at least the ones that were left. Refurbishing this was going to be an adventure!
The Bars
The first priority was the bars. I didn't want to use a grinder, buffer, or harsh chemicals that would affect the intonation. I decided to use distilled vinegar and salt. As an experiment I chose the most rusted bar, the High 'F'. I soaked it for 28hrs and liked the result.

After 28hrs and Original
I decided to continue with the others with changes in time and the amount of salt:

  1.  Cover the bars with a mixture of vinegar and 2 Tablespoons salt.
  2.  Soak for 48hrs.
  3.  Brush the bars with a nylon brush in fresh water.
  4.  Rinse in a bucket of water and baking soda to stop any residual acidic action.
  5.  Rinse in fresh water.
  6.  Towel dry.
  7.  Dry with a heat gun to remove moisture in the mounting holes.
  8.  Store in a plastic bag with desiccant for 24hrs.

Bubbles from the Vinegar/salt solution
after 28hrs
The bars were finished, so I started to work on the escutcheon pins.




















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of