Skip to main content

Five degrees of Beethoven

Since our mother passed away in 2008, my brother and I have Skyped nearly every Sunday. If you read my 'Welcome post' he was my first drum teacher and a very influential person in my musical life.
For whatever reason we started to talk about connections to historical people last Sunday. That  made me think about famous musicians of course. So.....
1965- my wife(girlfriend at the time) and I had a class with musician and musicologist Fredrick Dorian. One day as we entered his apartment we found Rudolf Serkin sitting on a chair in conversation with Dr. Dorian. Serkin was in town to play Beethoven's Choral Fantasy with the Pittsburgh Symphony. After introductions were made Mr. Serkin stood up and shook hands with all of us students in the class. My memory of him was a very soft spoken, humble man and very easy to talk to.
That made me think of connections:
Rudolf Serkin (1) Serkin met Schnabel at a concert in Berlin 1921.
Artur Schnabel (2)
Theodor Leschetizky (Schnabel's teacher[3])
Carl Czerny (Leschetizky's teacher [4])
Ludwig Van Beethoven (Czerny's teacher [5])

What does all of this mean? On one level it's a form of the self-aggrandizing that I find so boring. It certainly doesn't elevate my importance in the scheme of things. On a different level, it does show that in so many ways we all have a connection together.

I'll call this an 'academic exercise'. It was fun to take some time and find these links, but that's enough.

OK, In 1966 I did play at Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh for the Three Stooges. One degree from Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe. Now that's important! 





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of