Skip to main content

Sad news

Last night we read an article that the momma bear had been put down by the Wildlife Service. The story went on to say that a bear was seen near an elementary school acting strangely.  It was said to be having trouble breathing  After they tranquilized the bear they determined that it was sick (?) and decided to euthanize it. They tranquilized the cubs but no information beyond that.
This family had become celebrities in the neighborhood for the past month or so.  I would hear comments like "Yeah, they were at my house last night or I saw them walking down the middle of the street yesterday afternoon".
I think we all new it was destined not to end well. To my knowledge she never showed any signs of aggression but it was only a matter of time before some confrontation would take place. Mothers protect their children, human or nonhuman.
I only hope that the cubs will be either relocated (they are old enough) or otherwise placed in a safe environment. Meanwhile I consider myself lucky to have been in their presence with nothing more than some messy dining habits to contend with.

Comments

  1. So sad about the Mama bear, sure hope the cubs will be okay:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of