Skip to main content

MARCHING MACHINE




Unfortunately this was a rush job. I was doing a sectional at a local high school on a Thursday and the band had a concert on the following Wednesday night. At the time I was still working at the bike shop full time, coaching for the YS, and had a larger number of private students.
They actually had a marching machine that someone had made, but the blocks were made from 1X2 lumber each 8" long. They were strung by different lengths of rope making it look more like a wooden windchime. It was difficult to hold, made extraneous sounds when picked up, and sounded more like a 'rout' than 'marching'.
Since time was critical, I chose to reuse the existing frame but removed the rope and blocks. 2X2 lumber cut in 4" lengths, drilled holes 1" down from the top through each block, a second hole 1/2" lower on the other sides. I then re-drilled matching holes on the length and width of the frame. Paracord was used to string and tension the blocks. The machine had 40 blocks total with 5 rows of 8.

If I had more time, I would have stained or varnished the wood to protect it, but I finished it the morning of the concert leaving them only 1 rehearsal before the performance.

Comments

  1. Interesting, I can only imagine what it sounded like:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know what size to cut them too without hearing it first? And would Pop have approved of using an "unfinished" product? 🤫 I know he would not have approved of emojis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of