Skip to main content

Found Sound Pt. 1: Rebar Triangles

9",12", 21" Rebar Triangles with an Alan Abel triangle to show perspective

In the late 80's I found 3 sections of rebar in a dumpster. At the time I was teaching instrumental music at a middle school and one of my classes was teaching world music through percussion. We had explored some music of the United States and this time I wanted to teach Jazz. In our school the students were very much into Rock, Hip Hop, Country and some Reggae, but I was amazed that very few had any knowledge of Jazz. This rebar provided the solution.
I measured the length of each piece and marked them to form an isosceles triangle (thanks Euclid). Using a torch, I heated and bent them as close as I could to the proper angle. After each bend I quenched them in water. I now had a 9", 12", and 21" triangle and because of the water quenching, each had a relatively long sustained sound. A coating of silver paint finished the project.
The player would hold them in their hand as if playing in Latin style. This gave them the ability to play 'open' and 'closed' (o, +) strokes. Since rebar is ribbed the triangle could also be scraped like a guiro. The beaters were 1/4" steel rods.
I composed a short Swing piece in Rondo form that they memorized and performed at some of our Elementary Schools.
The Title reflects the Instruments and the Style of Music

































Comments

  1. What exactly rebar? Is it a form of metal rod used for something specific? Or is it for some kind of musical thingy? BTW, looking at your triangles, I believe they are equilateral, not isosceles. But you can still thank Euclid. Can't wait to read Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebar is short for reinforcement bar. It's placed into the 'form' as the concrete is poured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it all worked well...:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of