Skip to main content

Found Sound Pt 2: Gongs



A local auto body shop was selling empty 30 gallon barrels that had undercoating in them. At the time I knew that 55 gallon drums were originally used to make steel drums so I thought I could make a smaller version of them.
My first step was to cut off the bottom of the barrel to get a 2 1/2" depth. After cutting the first barrel I realized that I needed to get some hearing protection. I found my rubber ear plugs and then put a piece of foam over my ears and put on my old Radio Shack headphones. Finally, I wrapped a towel over everything. I looked like my Italian Grandmother but it worked well enough to finish the job of cutting the remainder of the barrels without damaging my hearing.


Using a 4 pound engineer hammer and punch I started pounding the face of the drum. It wasn't long before I new I could never pound all of these barrels out and then raise the different sections to produce the different pitches for a set of pans. Not only did it take more strength than I had but the sound was deafening even with my make shift ear protectors. At this point I made an executive decision to make button gongs, and since I have 2 gongs from Thailand I could use them as a pattern.




A button gong has a raised center produced by pounding the underside of the instrument. This creates a more focused sound and can actually be tuned to a specific pitch. Without this 'button', the instrument produces a more spread sound similar to what is commonly called a Tam-Tam in this country.
I had 4 barrels and ended with 4 different pitched gongs: E, G(F# depending on where it was struck), A, and B♭. I found that the diameter of the button determined the pitch and the length (raised portion) removed many of the unwanted harmonic partials resulting in a more accurate pitch.
I built these gongs around 1984 and it wasn't until this past June that I used them in a performance. It was a trio with recorder, piano, and 3 gongs.



This is not a project that I plan to repeat. It took too much physical power and harm to my hearing. However I did learn firsthand about the acoustics of gongs and tam-tams.
























Comments

  1. Fun! I am encouraging our great niece who was born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate to take up the drums...she is having a hard time with her instrument because of the hole in the roof of her mouth after this last surgery! I bet she would love gongs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of