Skip to main content

Former Students

One of the great joys of teaching is when we get visits from former students. I say 'we' because many times when I'm working with one student in the studio the next student would be sitting in the living room waiting for their lesson. During those times my wife would visit with some of them talking about some common interests like painting, climbing 14ers, science projects, and of course music.

The majority of my students did not go into music as a profession, they followed different paths- Engineers, Upholsteres, School Teachers and Principals, Doctors, Sommeliers. Some became professional Percussionists far exceeding my abilities.
Each and every one of them has given us a wealth of fond memories.

Thank You to all of you.















Comments

  1. I am certain you have made an impact on many young people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jerry. I know how you feel. Your blogs keep getting better. It will be like when I taught you the drums. You'll be better than me (arguably you probably are there already!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of