Skip to main content

The Prodigal Book

Starting in 1971 I spent 3 years in the military as a percussionist. This particular band spent much of its time touring the US and Canada. My room mate on these tours was another percussionist and the two of us would discuss all things percussion but especially percussion education. After concerts they would bus us back to our rooms. It was not uncommon for us to talk until 3 or 4AM talking.
Apparently I must have loaned him one of my books and then forgot about it. Years later and I mean somewhere in the 80's, I was looking for this book and couldn't find it so I purchased another one for my library.
Fast forward to 2013, Sandy was retiring from his teaching career at a college and decided to relocate to the state of Washington. On his way there he and his wife stopped in for a visit and to bring a gift.
My book is back!
After 40 years my book was returned. Sandy had signed and framed it for me. I have it hanging in my studio.

But then......
I have had a pair of marimba mallets that I had borrowed from a friend in college. He transferred to a different college in his junior year and we fell out of touch with each other. A mutual friend mentioned that he had lunch with him (Christmas 2019) so I got his contact info.
Tom had spent 40 years in various orchestras and eventually retired from the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra around  2014. We spoke on the phone and sent emails back and forth catching up with each other. Yesterday I packed up his mallets and mailed them back to him.
On loan for 52 years!
I think everybody has their equipment now but I'll probably find something else on 'loan'.

Contrary to a nasty rumor, Tom did not retire because he couldn't find his mallets.


















Comments

  1. A wonderful post!! I wonder now did I give you all my drum stuff or did you slowly take it!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of