Skip to main content

Concerts cancelled, Skype lessons, etc.

I received a mass email yesterday saying the Canyon Winds concert in May will be cancelled. As disappointing as that is, it's the proper decision. You can't put a concert together in one or two rehearsals and expect a decent performance. There will be no more rehearsals until August and tentatively a concert in October.
The Skype lessons are continuing, I've given marimba and snare drum lessons, and even a drum set lesson. I say 'even' because I'm not a set player and I feel there are many more teachers in the area more qualified to teach set. The frustrating thing about Skype is the delay in the video from the audio. That means I can't play along with the student for either duets or the same piece. It's going to take some rethinking for that part. On the plus side it's great to see my students and work with them again. This only reinforces my decision to continue lessons even though I've backed out of performing from so many groups. I'm sure I'll know when it's time to stop teaching but for now I'm going to continue.
The Colorado Springs Philharmonic has decided to pay their musicians through the rest of the season even though it has been cancelled. That was good news to hear since most of them rely solely on that income supplemented by private lessons. One of their percussionists reached out to me to see if I had any students to send her way but unfortunately I couldn't help her. I hope the financial package that was recently signed will help this group.
Meanwhile I'm toying with the idea of making some videos putting them on this blog and having my students watch them. These might contain specific performances of their assigned pieces and general exercises and playing techniques for accessories.
I think I'll call them the COVIDEOS.

Comments

  1. We played a game last night with our kids on zoom....I am not sure how it works...but perhaps there are alternative platforms out there:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of