Skip to main content

Marking music

Sometimes the instructions on music are small (such as Rit. or cresc.) or the conductor adds a sezura after a section that wasn't in the arrangement. These are just 2 of any number of things that a player wants to emphasize on his part during rehearsals and the performance.

MARK YOUR PARTS!

A comment that I always make to my students is:
"One of the things that separates a professional from an amateur is a professional never trusts his memory but an amateur will."*
If you were to watch a professional player during a rehearsal they are constantly marking their parts. It's a basic step in any performance.
For years I had a mechanical pencil that held a 2mm lead in a grade of 6B, this is softer than a typical writing pencil (2B). I used this pencil for marking all of my parts. I would intentionally wear down the tip from a sharp point to a rounded end. This gave me a very dark and broad stroke so that I knew it would get my attention and could be easily seen in any lighting condition. It also contrasted well against the handwritten notes that any previous player may have written**.
And then I lost this pencil. Finally after doing some research I found out that it was a Staedtler Mars technico. 
I was able to find one online and received it this week. This pencil is as important to a musician as his mallets and the instrument he plays.

*- The difference between an amateur and a professional goes well beyond getting payed for your work (although getting payed is great). It's an attitude, it's taking responsibility and pride in your work.
**- Of course markings must be done in pencil (black not colors or ink). And they must be erased after the performance if they are returned to the rental company or library. 











   

Comments

  1. Interesting! I played in junior high band...I must have been sick when they taught how to read notes on sheet music...I never could gasp it and just played along with what ever note I thought should sound good...drove the band director crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. 6B? I'll have to read up on this in the book I showed you. I always thought the higher you went, the harder the lead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of