Skip to main content

Upon the kindness of strangers

It can be very easy to get into a gloom and doom attitude while being isolated and then watching the daily news. But there are always acts of kindness out there, some small and others large. When coaching for the Youth Symphony I was always looking for new equipment for the Percussion Section. Once again going back to their performance of Carmina Burana in 2012 (see my 'castanet post'). We also needed an anvil for this performance but rather than using the small 8 inch steel plate that I had donated a few years before, I wanted to get a real anvil sound.
I went to a local steel fabrication company to see what I could find. When I went into the office I was confronted by the secretary at the front desk. She was a no nonsense middle aged lady with a rather gruff attitude. In other words, she was the one who was really in charge. I explained that I wanted to get a section of steel 'I-beam' for the performance. She asked for some more information about what I needed and after I went into more detail she sat there for a few seconds, stood up and said "Follow me". We went back to the area  (I had to put on a hard hat) where the welders, cranes, and piles of steel were kept. She told a welder to cut a 12" I-beam 18" long and give it to me. After he finished cutting and smoothing off the edges I carried it back to her desk (rather I dragged it) to pay. I asked her for a receipt so I could get reimbursed from the symphony. Her answer: "No, this is a donation." I have no idea of the value of that massive chunk of steel but it worked perfectly for our performance and later, other pieces that called for an anvil.
I asked the people in the Symphony office to send her a thank you letter for the donation. I also took a picture of our Percussion section standing around our new 'Anvil' and sent it with another thank you note signed by the percussionists.

Given a chance, many people are willing to help.

Comments

  1. What a great story - especially for these times. I could, however, say that you have always got away with many things because of that "innocent" look you get when you want to. That's the only reason I wanted to be a younger brother! But seriously, Jerry, you are absolutely right. People (most) will respond correctly when offered an opportunity. Maybe you should try to get all-steel percussion instruments and begin one of those Jamaican groups?!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of