Skip to main content

National Dog Day

 I was caught off guard, I didn't realize that we even had a National Dog Day. I made a list of most of the dogs in my life.

Bumba:

The first year that we lived in the country my brother and I got a Collie/Shepherd mix. Unfortunately she died after 1 year from distemper. Somewhere I have a picture of her but I can't find it. She was the best dog I ever had.



Bambi:

The following year we got Bambi, another Collie/Shepherd mix. I always joke about being raised by wolves. Bambi was that wolf. I was in 4th grade when we got her and she saw me off to the army when I was 21. She was the best dog I ever had.

Bambi

Heidi:

When I was in the Army Band in Colorado we got a Great Pyrenees and named her Heidi. My wife was in very poor health during that time and Heidi became totally attached to her. She was the best dog I ever had.

Heidi

Scruffy:

Another Collie/Shepherd mix. My brother got Scruffy when he was in the Army but gave him to our parents when he was transferred. Since we lived in the country near the Springs at the time we decided to adopt Scruffy to keep Heidi company. He was the best dog I ever had.

Scruffy

Elsa:
Elsa was a Golden Lab/Pyrenees mix.  I still find it difficult to talk about her. She was the best dog I ever had.
Elsa


Annie:
She came from a ranch in Kansas with her sister. We would have loved to have both of them but we didn't have room for 2 Pyres. She was the best dog I ever had.
Annie

Okay so I said they were all the best dogs I ever had. But isn't this what Fred Astaire said about all of his dance partners? Each of these dogs appeared at critical times in my life and each gave me something I will always remember. If you are not a dog person you might understand. If you are a dog person... enough said.



















 














Comments

  1. Great post, Jerry! I don't have that picture of Bambi. A couple of nit-picking things: 1) Your penultimate sentence is missing the word "not", I think; 2) When I was transferred to England is was to be for 14 months and then return to the States. England had a 6-month quarantine on animals at the time. It was only after I found out that I was being assigned to Germany for three years after England that I told M&P it was okay to give Scruf to you; 3) and finally, do you realize all of our dogs we had together had names beginning with the letter B? Our first was Blondie. Next was Butch. Both were Cocker Spaniels. I have a picture of Blondie and of Bumba (though I can't find it right now), but none of Butch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had some nice looking pals! Yes they all end up being the best dog we have ever had. We are fairly miserable without a dog since Chance died. We are dog people for sure! I think when "stuff" straightens out we might be able to foster again we will see:) Nice meeting all your best friends!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of