Skip to main content

Playing with maps

 I have always enjoyed maps and orienteering, particularly when backpacking and especially when going off trail. Since so many of our trips involved exploring prehistoric Native American sites and photographing petroglyphs, reading and using a map and compass gave us the freedom to see so much more than just staying on a given trail. Some of the National Parks require staying on designated trails for personal safety and/or protecting the environment, but many other places have fewer restrictions.

When GPS became available I purchased a Garmin handheld device to record my trips and record specific sites (petroglyph panels, rock shelters). This was a tremendous advantage since I was able to locate these sites on a topo map for future visits. With Garmin's system I found that I was always having to purchase software whenever I had to upgrade computers (Windows Vista, Windows 10) or use my Mac.

Recently I found an app that I could use on my phone that would sync to any of my computers. I was now able to record a hike using the phone's GPS, I could take pictures, create waypoints and then save the recording as a map. Finally, the generated map gave me distance traveled, elevation, waypoints that I created along with waypoints where I took each picture. All of this could be printed out with latitude and longitude markings so I could easily transfer to my topo map.

   This is not the actual map but rather the 'recording' of our evening walk. Some important tools include zooming in for exact detail and layers that show 'satellite view' and 'elevation'. I will be using this app when I go to Picketwire Canyon in a month or so to find more petroglyphs. 

Comments

  1. Interesting bit of technology! I am struggling to get my music (old rock and roll) on my phone...my husband has mainly country and his music comes up in the car and mine doesn't...not sure why... I need a kid to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most phones have a slot for a micro SD card. Try putting one in your computer and download your music to it. Remove the card from the computer and put it in your phone. I know it works on Galaxy phones but I have no experience for Iphones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of