Skip to main content

How a Triangle Beater can repair a tent

 I'm getting ready to take my not so annual trip to Picketwire Canyon. I have my solar charger, a new tablet, the new trail recorder, cameras, instant potatoes, water, and Spam.

One minor setback was my tent. I have used a Camp 7, 1 man tent for years. It's small but roomy for a 1 man tent and it was well made. I recently loaned this tent to a friend who was going on a trip to the Tetons in Wyoming with 3 other guys. Following social distancing guidelines they decided for each to sleep in a separate tent. Unfortunately the guy (not my friend) who used my tent had the subtlety of a porcupine in a balloon factory.  My tent was returned with a broken section of  the front pole assembly. This tent uses only a front and rear pole assembly and both are put under extreme tension when inserted into the tent. If the sections are not fully inserted into each other then it's very easy to break that section.

This is what the tent is supposed to look like when properly assembled. This is actually the tent after I repaired it.

The front pole assembly consists of 4 nylon rods each having a ferrule on one end to mate with the next rod. I found it interesting that it looked very much like the triangle beaters that I made a few yeas ago. 

So.....I cut off the damaged ferrule, used 2 part epoxy to attach a 'spring pin' halfway on the end and let it cure for 24 hours.

It worked! For the price of $1.36 and some time (I'm retired so that doesn't count), my tent is back to it's old self. 
I'll be off to Picketwire in about a month.

























Comments

  1. Once again, Li'l Bro, you amaze me. Two things; actually one question and one suggestion. Did your friend offer to pay for repair/a new tent pole/tent? Suggest you take a triangle or two for music or a wind chime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the fix holds for your trip. That isn't very nice that it was returned broken. That sounds like an interesting place to visit...yes take spam:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of