Skip to main content

Rattles

Two weeks ago I received an email from Stan, he's writing an ensemble piece for a high school percussion group in Georgia. The piece calls for Native American rattles and he asked me if I knew any places to buy some. I thought it would be an interesting project for me so I volunteered to make them. 
My intention was to make gourd rattles from Coyote, aka Buffalo gourds which are native to the southwest including here in Southern Colorado, and since I was planning my trip to Picketwire Canyon, this would be an opportunity to look for some. Unfortunately my trip had to be canceled so I drove some back roads towards Pueblo to look for some plants. That was also a bust. A trip to a nursery and buying a gourd was the next bad idea, after sitting in the sun for 3 days it just shriveled up and caved in. But then I watched a Youtube video on making a rawhide rattle. The gourd idea went on hold while I started collecting the materials for my rawhide rattle.

Getting the rawhide was the first job. I didn't want to buy an entire cowhide (too expensive) and I didn't want to start with a real cow (I think they still hang rustlers in Colorado) so I went to a pet store and bought a large rawhide chew for dogs. I soaked the rawhide for 3 days and unrolled it. Cutting two 4" circles with tabs (to insert the handle). I clamped them together and punched holes for the lacing and used imitation sinew to sew the sides together.

Two sides cut out
Punching holes for lacing
    


Lacing the sides together












Leaving the tabs unsewn I used a funnel to fill it with sand, tamping it in to form the shape. It dried overnight.










 
After removing the sand I coated it (except for the tabs) with water based acrylic varnish. I soaked the tabs only this time to soften, filled the rattle with 1/4 cup of Anasazi Beans and popcorn, inserted the handle, finished stitching the tabs, wrapped the handle/rattle joint with the sinew and dried overnight.











I finished the rattle by covering the handle with brown suede, wrapping it with lacing to improve the grip. I then added beads, feathers, fur and faux horse hair.

Authentic rattles have symbols covering the head of the rattle but since the rattles are many times used in religious ceremonies I chose not to put anything on them so as not to misappropriate any sacred images.
I am waiting for the shipment of gourds to finish the project. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of