Skip to main content

Wood Blocks

Wood blocks are ideal for teaching multiple percussion since different sizes produce different pitches, requiring the student to read multiple lines and or spaces. The problem is that I have a limited number of wood blocks to loan out for my students to use. A few years ago I decided to made some quick and easy wood blocks.

I used pine 2 X 4's since they were easy to get and cut. Using a jig saw they were cut into 'U' shapes, 1/16" plywood was glued on the bottom and 1/4" toe kick board for the top (beating surface), and a small strip for the front to form a slot.  Molefoam© was used for the feet. The result was about as quick and dirty of a project that I have ever done but the sound was acceptable for practice. 

 
A later version had an integrated front slot by drilling holes before cutting the 2 X 4. 

Recently I found that by gluing rubberized tool drawer lining to the top created a sound similar to a Temple block.


Since I now have a scroll saw I should be able to make cleaner and more precise cuts for the body of the wood block. 










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of