Skip to main content

Finding Shorty's


 People who grew up in Southwestern Pennsylvania know about Shorty's, or more properly Shorty's Lunch. First opened in the 1930's, Shorty's was and still is the only place to eat lunch in Washington, PA. Like so many Washingtonians, I grew up eating Shorty's hamburgers and hotdogs. Just to clarify, it's the hotdogs that are most famous but when I was about 8 or 9 I ate too many of his hotdogs and got sick. This had nothing to do with their quality but rather to the size of my eyes compared to the size of my stomach. 

"Four with everything". That's all you would have to say and you would get 4 hotdogs with mustard (yellow), onion and sauce. Their sauce of course was a family secret consisting of ground hotdog, chili and  those special other things

Like so many expatriates, I would go to Shorty's whenever I returned home to visit family and friends. But living 1,400 miles from Shorty's limits my visits. So I have been trying to make my own Shorty's Hamburgers here in Colorado. My experiments are based on some known facts and a few theories/legends.

( * = theory/legend)

  1. The hamburger meat is made into a loaf, baked and sliced into patties. *
  2. The onions are reconstituded dried chopped onions.
  3. The sauce is made from ground hotdogs and a mild chili.  

So far I would say that I am 20% there. Until I can really feel that I have it, I guess I'll just keep returning to Shorty's.

Maybe 20%








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of