Skip to main content

Repurposing: Body Puffs

 

Body puffs are great to use but are wasteful considering that they tell you to replace them every month. Last summer I took one apart to see if I could use it for something else. Carefully cutting the inside string that holds it together, I found that it was a tube about 14 ft. long. Because of it's 'X' design and made of plastic, the diameter will expand to about 1 ft. 

The first thing that came to mind was to make vegetable/fruit bags. I sprayed the entire tube with Lysol to kill any bacteria and mold and cut a length 2 ft. long. Because the plastic is slippery a simple knot will not stay in place so I tied an overhand knot on 1 end and turned the bag inside out. I then tied another overhand knot above the 'captured' knot. This made the bottom of the bag secure.

So far I've have found that each bag can hold 5 apples/oranges, or 2 sweet potatoes. After filling the bags, a simple overhand knot keeps them from opening in the basket. Because of the double knot on the bottom, weight doesn't seem to be an issue. We'll see if it holds when cantaloupe season comes.

There is a limit to the number of vegetable/fruit bags that we need, hopefully I'll find other uses for it.  








Comments

  1. :) I usually throw them away...if I had a dish washer I would throw mine in there to disinfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of