Skip to main content

22 minutes, 47 seconds

 I timed myself mowing the lawn this morning. I hate mowing the lawn! Even though this sub-23 minutes is considerably shorter than mowing the family lawn when I was a boy. Our yard back then was larger, the front and back was equal to about 3 football fields and took about 24 hours to finish (there might be a slight exaggeration  here). It rains a lot in Pennsylvania which normally means we had to mow very often. It doesn't rain very much in Colorado and 'green' grass is not native to the area. Buffalo grass and yucca yes but not that stuff that makes it look like a New England countryside.

Also, there are only 1 or 2 roads to get anywhere in Colorado unlike PA where they invented the "toll road" and multiple main, secondary and tertiary roads.

When our uncles, aunts and cousins would come visiting the conversation always started with " What route did you take to get here?" That led to a half hour discussion about any and all variations of routes. After the references to road maps etc. the next topic was "How many times did you mow your lawn this week?" 

So, what am I getting at? When we have visitors we just sit there and stare at each other.

Comments

  1. Okay, Little Brother. I knew where you were going with this when you mentioned "roads" after mowing! You have talked before about what home folk talked about! And BTW, the yard was NOT three football fields - not even close! More like 1 or 1 and 1/2. But then we all tend to exaggerate as we get older. And it took us at least half a day to cut it. After we left, Pop bought the John Deere riding mower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 23 minutes! Wow...I am just beginning mowing...but it takes about2 hours to do ours and then I do my brothers because he moves snow for us...then if my other brother is gone I do his too...so the better part of a day...then I do Thistle removal and spray the Poison Ivy along all the roads...I do have a riding mower and I hope this one lasts all season...my brothers have extra ones I can borrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you come and do mine I'll give you some chokecherry jelly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of