Skip to main content

Castanets

In 2012 the YS programed Carmina Burana for their final concert. The one instrument the section needed was a professional pair of castanets. Until then the only thing we had was a castanet machine that I made in the 70's that worked OK if the sound was covered up by the rest of the orchestra. However, this was a solo part and should be played with a pair of hand mounted castanets. Because time and money was short I had the percussionist use my Epstein's for the rehearsals and concerts.

My embarrassing machine castanets
After the concert I had time to think about making a set. I found a pair of 2 5/8" ebony (they were not ebony) online, using my Epstein's as a reference, I made handles and mounted them.

I then started on a design to play them as a castanet machine.  The picture below is the set of castanets and machine that I made for the Canyon Winds Band last year.


The sound of these castanets are NOT the quality of the professional level brands. They do however, produce an outstanding sound with the flexibility to be played by hand or mounted. The total cost was $75 parts and time spent.





































Comments

  1. Jerry, I see your "mallet flower garden" in the first picture. I's something you might consider as a backgroound in the future. When you were first discussing them with me, I don't remember the block looking like that - kind of rustic? Did I miss something. On another note, I may be finally getting off my writer's blog block. Hopefully, in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Amadinda

  The Amadinda is an African xylophone originally made from slabs of wood or even large sticks, with or without gourds for resonators. There was no reason for this project other than to see if I could make a simple mallet instrument. The box was made from plywood (which also acted as the resonators) and the bars were made from maple.  Since this was to be a true xylophone, the bars were all of equal width. Tuning was done by cutting the bars to different lengths and removing material from the bottom. Using a router I created a sort of 'stepped pyramid' instead of the traditional arc cut found on marimba or xylophone bars.  Cutting the underside is not only for tuning but it focuses the pitch and creates the characteristic overtones of the instrument. Since I wanted to play this with other 'Western' instruments, I chose to use a pentatonic scale of 2 2/5 octaves (C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D#). Two people sit on either side of the instrument and strike the ends of